Sunday, June 27, 2010

It's Like Thunder and Lightning

I have about 10 minutes before we leave for a sunrise walk at Angkor Wat.  How the experience will compare to the one we had there yesterday, I don't know.  Skipping over a few days of blogging - no time, tempermental computer - I want to attempt a description of Angkor Wat.  Arguably the largest religious structure in the world, it is a mighty piece of architecture.  Yesterday we visited several temples in the same complex, Agkor Wat last.
The day was, of course, muggy and close, the sun hot and by midday we were dragging.  Our incredible guide and host, Ponheary (more on Ponheary later) had mercy on us and we returned to the house for showers, naps and curry noodle lunch. When we returned, the wind was stirring up, we could feel the booms of thunder through the soles of our feet, and the big temple awaited, surrounded by a mass of rainclouds.
We entered and began to climb to the top, ascending short, steep staircases at each level.  While we were climbing the final set the thunder crescendoed, the clouds opened and sheets of rain began to fall.  The effect was majestic, spine-tingling...and best of all sent many other sightseers fleeing.  We began to feel that we were the sole inhabitants, our behavior ranging from giggling madly in the rain to hushed silences as we took in the vistas awaiting us around every corner, framed by ancient columns and balconies.
I cannot begin to describe the views - of temple structures viewed from within and across, to the lush grounds with its buildings dotting the landscape.
It feels heavy, powerful, mystical and full of ghosts.  We commented that we had never been somewhere where one more thing - tree, building or animal - would be too much, but everything was needed. It is a study in perfection.
We learned that one of the ten qualities of the kings is that he be a master architect. Each one tried to outdo the others with their temple building. Well, their contest is incredible.
On another note - we...rode elephants, began learning our way around Siem Reap, are still healthy :), and are ready for sunrise, and a swim in waterfalls with carvings on the stone pool floors.  This country surprises and amazes us every day. Plus, Griffin is finding no shortage of baked goods, and woke yesterday to find a fresh baguette propped on his door by one of the wonderful people here.
Lastly, I heard we are 4 games up?!? Go Pads, and love to all.  Thank you for your comments, too - we LOVE to read them. And yes, Davy, this is the fourth time I've been up and coherent pre-dawn!

5 comments:

  1. You rode elephants!!!! I'm so jealous, name one of them hilly billy bob for me!:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love following you guys on the trip. Who knew Cambodia would be swept clean every day and on the cutting edge of obesity prevention with morning workouts for all? And the food sounds (and looks) crazy good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still trying to make my comments work. Maybe this time. Angkor Wat..a staggeringly amazing place...and you are there. I can only imagine the incredible experiences you are going through. I was wondering when you hadn't blogged for a couple of days. No worry!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So Kong came from the town west of Angor Wat - Battambang. I asked him what the town was like, for instance what industry to they have - he laughed as only Kong can and said, "There's no industry!" I got the sense that he was talking about the entire country. That was many years ago - I hope that they now have at least a tuk tuk factory in country. Keep the posting - I'd love to hear the boys' perpsectives......

    ReplyDelete